The Lyceum’s history is apparent upon arrival, with the words ‘Lyceum Theatre, 1911’ written loudly in the building adjacent to the entrance. The venue has been the proud home of drama, musicals, comedy a variety of performances for over a century, where its long-standing history even lead to a feature on the paranormal series - ‘Most Haunted’.
The theatre was originally a Roman Catholic church, transformed into an entertainment site in 1881. It began hosting a range of shows such as silent movies and pantomimes, and was even graced by Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel during the early days. In 1910, the theatre was suddenly struck by a fire after a performance of ‘Dick Whittington and his Cat’, resulting in permanent damage to the building. A new construction took place and in 1911, the theatre was reopened, this time showing even more outrageous performances such as circuses and piano competitions - ‘Syncopating’ Sandy Strickland broke records playing for 194 hours without stopping!
In much need of a renovation, the Lyceum was spruced up in the 1990’s with a new extension and facade, and the addition of a restaurant in 2012. Since then, it became the site of various TV appearance, such as Ken Dodd’s ‘Live Laughter Tour’ and Granada’s ‘Lost Empires’, alongside many theatre, dance and comedy productions. It remains the only Edwardian theatre in the area, and like its early days, is a great place to catch festive pantomimes.