The Princes Theatre is one of two theatres in the Essex seaside resort of Clacton-on-Sea along with the West Cliff Theatre. Opened in 1931, the 800-capacity Princes Theatre sits inside the Grade II-listed Clacton Town Hall, entertaining the town by staging over 150 shows and events a year. The Princes Theatre was originally designed in 1926 by architect Sir A Brumwell Thomas, with its construction starting in 1928 on an acre plot. It was officially opened as a theatre and public hall in 1931. The Princes is owned by Tendring District Council and has changed size several times in its history – it was initially able to reach a capacity of 1250 people but has since reduced to a more compact 820-seater theatre. The Princes is an entertainment hub for Clacton-on-Sea, regularly hosting live music, dance, and comedy along with theatre workshops. Along with musicals like Spamalot and The Wizard of Oz, the Princes hosts many tribute acts including tributes to Dolly Parton, George Michael and Bob Marley. When not hosting professional performances, it also hosts weddings, conferences and other events.